TGC Seasonal Update | Week 43 | 2019
• Ideal mild temperatures averaging between 15ºC low and 35ºC high.
• Application of sizing sprays on Early Sweet in week 39.
• The region is 7 days earlier compared to the previous season.
• First harvest on white seedless week 43.
• The Red Seedless volumes will start in week 46 with Black Seedless following in week 47.
• Bunch shortening done in advance to focus on eating quality of product instead of volumes.
• Overall the first impression of the region for this season looks extremely promising.
ORANGE RIVER REGION
• The region is in full bloom with favourable weather conditions
• Early varieties 7 days earlier compared to the previous season.
• Day temperatures averaging between 28ºC and 35ºC which is normal for this time of the year.
• With less fluctuation in weather during early growth stages, the vines showed more consistent growth.
• With the first harvest on White Seedless around week 46 and Red Seedless to follow in week 47.
• The region will have numerous plots with new flavour varieties coming into production.
• Ideal growing conditions will contribute to a great tasting year on niche varieties like Sable Seedless.
WESTERN CAPE REGION
• The Berg River will start with harvest week 51/52 with the Hex River following just a week behind.
• These areas are 7 days earlier along with ideal growing conditions and less winds than previous years.
• The Crimson Seedless yields seems to be average in terms of volumes this year.
• With new plots coming into production we expect yield increase on the following varieties:
- Sweet Globe®
- Sweet Celebration®
- Autumn Crisp®
- Adora Seedless®
• Drought challenges are under control if compared to the previous two years, however growers are still keeping all protocols in place to ensure that the season will be a success throughout.